[Tagging] maxspeed=signals

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 11:43:10 BST 2012

Hi!

Lately I was mapping features along motorways, including speed limits.
Some of them are displayed on electronic signs, but usually only
change in case of traffic jams, accidents, dangerous weather
conditions, ... and so on. Now should these really be tagged with
maxspeed=signals? All of them were on motorways, where in my country
usually 130km/h are permitted. All of them showed 100. And under
normal circumstances they will always show 100.

The tag maxspeed=signals doesn't carry any useful information in this
situation. If I tag those speed limits with this tag we completely
lose the information that on this part(s) of the motorway one usually
can drive 100km/h and not 130km/h. So is this tag really a good idea
in this case? I understand that this might be necessary on roads where
the speed limit changes frequently, e.g. at some specific times.

regards,
Martin