[Tagging] unfinished railway of historic importance

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Mar 5 07:04:13 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 03/05/12 05:48, Russ Nelson wrote:
>   >  >  how do you tag a never-completed railway which has significant important
>   >  >  landmark value in the current landscape?
>   >
>   >  I think that what you are seeing is not a railway at all.
>
> You're kidding, right? If you google search for "unfinished railroad"
> the first, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth and ninth
> search results you'll find is the specific one that Richard is
> referring to.

In case there was any misunderstanding: I didn't want to say that
Richard is clearly an idiot and all this was in his mind only. I don't
dispute the historical facts.

The question, for me, is: What is the essence of a railroad? What is it
that makes something a railroad and not, say, a taxiway or a powerline
or a chairlift? What are the most important characteristics of it - and
how many of those characteristics does the object in question have?

I've run into the same argument with people tagging construction sites
for various kinds of buildings. I always maintained that the object in
question is primarily a construction site, and the fact that a hotel or
museum is being built is at most worth a note; whereas others were of
the opinion that the object in question is primarily a hotel or museum,
and the fact that it is under construction is of secondary nature.

> It's called
> ferroequinoyance -- the ability to spot a railroad from the barest of
> clues. It could be an alley at an odd angle, or a street that takes a
> funny turn, or a building with doors at boxcar height, or a crack in
> the asphalt, or a building with a corner cut off of it.

Imagine the fun these people could have if the map portrayed buildings
with corners cut off of them or alleys at odd angles, and they would
then have to ferroequinoy from the map where the railroad was planned to
be ;)

Bye
Frederik