[Tagging] gym as an amenity value

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Thu Mar 8 17:16:12 GMT 2012

On 08/03/2012 16:54, Clifford Snow wrote:
> I do not see gym listed as a value for the tag amenity.  I would like to
> see it as a recognized key value for amenity.  Taginfo,
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/amenity
> shows 644 gym, 8 Gym and some forms of health_club.
>
> Gym is defined as "A membership organization that provides a range of
> facilities designed to improve and maintain physical fitness and
> health."  In my town of Seattle, neighborhoods have numerous gyms that
> fit the definition.
>
> What is the correct process to get gym approved.  I'd also like to see
> it added to potlatch2.  I have found a public domain icon that could be
> used.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed would be appreciated.

The term "gym" is ambiguous, as it can also mean gymnasium. ie a place
at a school for sports, or a place for doing gymnastics etc.
I think its best to avoid the term for tagging.

I would suggest a tag of something like "fitness_centre" or
"fitness_club", which are clearer what they mean. Also, it should
probably be under the key for leisure, not amenity.

So a tag of leisure=fitness_centre or leisure=fitness_club