[Tagging] Farm hard standing --- how should we tag it?

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Mar 9 15:34:51 GMT 2012

John Sturdy <jcg.sturdy at gmail.com> wrote:

> In some areas of the country (noticeably the Fens, with their wet
> soil, I think) there are concreted areas beside farm tracks, that
> farmers use for storing things on (such as hay bales).  I don't know
> what these are called, and have generally not mapped them, but they
> are a noticeable feature of the countryside.  There's an example (with
> a provisional tag) at:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/154151708
> Any suggestions?  I don't think they really count as
> "landuse=farmyard" as I think that should refer to the central
> farmyard(s) of a farm, where the barns etc are.
> __John

Perhaps the best solution would be to ask some farmers, in such areas, what they call these concrete slabs?  I would suggest asking several, so that you can learn whether or not there is a consistent term for them.  Alternately, contact a company that is likely to be in the business of building such concrete slabs.

John F. Eldredge --  john at jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

More information about the Tagging mailing list