[Tagging] A leisure tag for bathe

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 12 10:06:57 GMT 2012

There seem to be several dimensions to this. "Bathing" can mean
different things to different people, with different English
words/usage. I can give a few examples.

Firstly, the activity itself:
*    to get clean (with soap etc)
*    to exercise or as a sport (swimming pool with lanes)
*    as a recreation (river/beach/recreational swimming pool)

On a different dimension, there is the construction of the facility:
*    indoor (turkish baths, swimming pool etc)
*    outdoor+manmade (outdoor swimming pool)
*    outdoor+natural (river/beach etc)

Then there is the "type" of water:
*    natural, seawater
*    natural, fresh water
*    natural, geothermal
*    "manmade" (swimming pool with heavily treated water)

These three attributes can probably exist in the real world in any
combination. I would suggest tagging them separately, to allow full
flexibility and minimise ambiguity.

For the activity, we already have leisure=swimming_pool, for sporting or
recreational swimming in a manmade construction. The optional addition
of sport=swimming differentiates between sport and recreation, but this
can't in itself handle "mixed" facilities. The main activity at a
Turkish Bath would probably be getting clean. Isn't it close to the
function of a sauna? There's already amenity=sauna with a proposal to
change to leisure=sauna.

Colin