[Tagging] area=yes on polygones (was Block names)

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue May 1 14:10:55 BST 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:55 PM, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> 01.05.2012 11:53, Pieren wrote:

> How about that one?

If I understand correctly this document
(http://regiowiki.pnp.de/index.php/Zentraler_Omnibusbahnhof_Passau),
it is serving 5 stations. So the "name" is incorrect and the way
should be split for the 5 "Bussteig". I would expect that the single
way is for a single platform.

> It's a public_transport=platform for busses. There's a building with
> ticket shops and toilets in the centre (not mapped yet).

Holes can be modelled as usual like we model holes in parks or buildings.

> But that's not what we decided to do in those cases. Instead, we
> invented area=yes.

We invented area=yes for the ambiguous closed way tagged with
"highway=*". Spreading its usage on more features generates side
effects like seeing more and more often the "area=yes" incorrectly
attached on landuses, buildings, leisures, etc or even just as primary
tag combined with "name" on closed ways (enough for rendering
correctly the name in Mapnik). It is strange to see how easy it is
accepted to split ways for silly route or boundary relations and
rejected here.

Pieren