[Tagging] addr

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue May 8 11:05:31 BST 2012

In general, the world considers a city to be a "very large town". In the
UK (and possibly other places) the concept of "city" has specific
connotations, namely the granting of Letters Patent by the Crown (a
cathedral is not a prerequisite, nor is it a guarantee of city status!)

A similar system in the Netherlands dictates that The Hague is
technically only a village as it has never formally been granted the
right to call itself a town, let alone a city.

The Post Town (as used by Royal Mail) is one way of defining a location,
but there may be cases where Royal Mail disagrees with local government
and/or common usage.