[Tagging] [Talk-us] First bona fide mini-roundabout spotted

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed May 9 11:31:31 BST 2012

2012/5/9 Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com>:
> There is one annoying complication of the "real" roundabout in comparison
> with the mini-roundabout (and for which I also have "cheated" in some cases)
> and that is the handling of bus and cycle route relations. These have to be
> split at every roundabout into two halves with role "forward".

yes, but that's also what the routes do in the real world: they only
make half a turn. What is exactly the problem? The routers for
instance should be able to deal nicely with a roundabout that is made
up of 2 or more smaller ways. (I am aware that not all do, but this is
less a data problem IMHO).

> The splitting of the roundabout for the route relations is also causing a
> lot of unintentional "vandalism", where mappers add a roundabout, and do not
> check for the existence of routes. I often do not add roundabouts (in
> cities) because I don not want to disturb an existing public transport
> network that I do not know

if the route is correct before you split the roundabout it should be
no problem even without local knowledge to adjust it after you split
the roundabout (you can see where the route enters and leaves the
roundabout from the route itself).

cheers,
Martin