[Tagging] symbol=* documentation?

Ferenc Veres lion at netngine.hu
Wed May 9 21:17:03 BST 2012

Hi,

I just found this page, which links to country specific mapping of
hiking paths:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Walking_Routes

But as I can see, some of these use human-readable explanation of the
"symbol", so I think my description for the tag was OK and I'll add it
to the Wiki page if there are no oppositions.  (Using English name in
"symbol", as Martin recommended.)

 From "osmc:symbol":

"Don't invent a new tag, simply use text/textcolor or refrain from using
osmc:symbol altogether."

I think we should remove this and allow users to add new values as they
require.

If this table is "hardcoded" here, everybody will go their own way
instead using and extending the standard.

All colors should allow all shapes. E.g. currently "blue round" is not
allowed, but "green round" is allowed as background. This should be up
to software implementors whether they support specific combinations, but
not limit MAPPERS from entering real-world information.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:osmc:symbol

Sander, your Belgian tagging could use "color" and "symbol" in one tag,
that makes it easier for software to read and mappers to write. For
computer-processed value you could still use osmc:symbol.

Ferenc