[Tagging] Relation Junctions used for roundabouts

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Thu May 10 14:49:38 BST 2012

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:37 AM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>> On 10/05/12 10:16, Martin Vonwald wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> On the wiki page of junction=roundabout the Junctions proposal
>>> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Junctions) is
>>> mentioned and it is claimed, that we have to use a relation in case
>>> the way of the roundabout is split up. Is this common practice?

Taginfo says there are just over 1,000 objects with a type=junction tag.
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/type=junction
compared to 225,000 junction=roundabout objects. So not terribly
common but definitely used a bit.

> Roundabouts that are split but aren't part of a relation tagged
> type=junction, junction=roundabout don't seem to render properly; JOSM
> handles creating these fairly cleanly.

Has something changed in rendering? Last I knew, there were no
rendering rules for junction=roundabout. Mapnik just rendered the
highway=* tag that is on the way.

Toby