[Tagging] Dispute on highway=mini_roundabout

Andrew Chadwick (lists) a.t.chadwick+lists at gmail.com
Thu May 10 23:47:08 BST 2012

On 10 May 2012 23:26, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
> Now the real question is whether we should change the definition. If we
> did allow using junction=roundabout on nodes, as has been suggested in
> this thread, would there be any reason left to prefer mini_roundabout
> for roundabouts that are "not strictly a mini-roundabout"?

IMO, allowing node junction=roundabout would probably be the right
approach for people who just want to dump a simple node down if they
don't have good imagery and the place is unsurveyed. Might solve the
problem of people not making the distinction between flat "mini"
roundabouts and the bigger sort, or not making the distinction in the
definitively correct place. Not that we should be catering for people
who don't go out and map it properly (... hippy!... </oldjoke>) so
much, but dumping a node is one way of getting maps done quickly at
low degrees of detail...

There's still a lot of bad data out there, depending on how you define badness.

At the other end of the scale, there's a good argument for extending
junction=roundabout to /relations/ as well. In areas with routes that
carve up big roundabouts and users who insist on mapping routes to
that level of awkward detail (sigh...), it may be the only technically
correct way of representing a big roundabout junction.

--
Andrew Chadwick