[Tagging] Two lane expressways

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Fri May 11 21:23:40 BST 2012

Hi,

Two-lane expressways. I came across one of these when running an
analysis on OSM data in Vermont, USA. I didn't even know they existed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-lane_expressway#United_States
The one I looked at is tagged as motorway:
http://osm.org/go/ZfEWG3GI--
http://osm.org/go/ZfUQxspO
That feels right to me. Is it the convention to tag them as highway=motorway?

Reason is I am running an analysis to detect trouble with the main
road network. One trouble flag is highway=motorway without oneway tag,
but that would flag this road here and it's perfectly OK.
Another trouble flag is potential missing bridge or tunnel tags, my
current query relies on two intersections between motorway and other
way, and thus wouldn't catch instances where the motorway is just one
line feature.
--
martijn van exel
http://oegeo.wordpress.com