[Tagging] Two lane expressways

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri May 11 22:40:23 BST 2012

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:

> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two-lane expressways. I came across one of these when running an
> > analysis on OSM data in Vermont, USA. I didn't even know they
> existed.
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-lane_expressway#United_States
> > The one I looked at is tagged as motorway:
> > http://osm.org/go/ZfEWG3GI--
> > http://osm.org/go/ZfUQxspO
> > That feels right to me. Is it the convention to tag them as
> highway=motorway?
>
> I'd be strongly inclined to tag it as a trunk since it's not divided,
> and especially since it's fairly short, terminating in more trunks.
> Trunks can have motorway-like features, but I'm inclined to consider
> motorways with only one physical way and/or intersections as trunk.

Major road repairs, such as repairing a bridge, or a point where a landslide has blocked one side of a motorway, sometimes require changing a section of the other side of the motorway into two-way traffic.  Generally, a temporary concrete barrier will be erected to separate the two traffic flows, but I have seen emergency situations where the only separation was a row of reflector cones.  In such a situation, would you recommend retagging that portion of the motorway as trunk instead of motorway?

John F. Eldredge --  john at jfeldredge.com