[Tagging] Two lane expressways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat May 12 00:17:40 BST 2012

On May 11, 2012 2:41 PM, "John F. Eldredge" <john at jfeldredge.com> wrote:

> Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Two-lane expressways. I came across one of these when running an
> > > analysis on OSM data in Vermont, USA. I didn't even know they
> > existed.
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-lane_expressway#United_States
> > > The one I looked at is tagged as motorway:
> > > http://osm.org/go/ZfEWG3GI--
> > > http://osm.org/go/ZfUQxspO
> > > That feels right to me. Is it the convention to tag them as
> > highway=motorway?
> >
> > I'd be strongly inclined to tag it as a trunk since it's not divided,
> > and especially since it's fairly short, terminating in more trunks.
> > Trunks can have motorway-like features, but I'm inclined to consider
> > motorways with only one physical way and/or intersections as trunk.
> >

> Major road repairs, such as repairing a bridge, or a point where a
landslide has blocked one side of a motorway, sometimes require changing a
section of the other side of the motorway into two-way traffic.  Generally,
a temporary concrete barrier will be erected to separate the two traffic
flows, but I have seen emergency situations where the only separation was a
row of reflector cones.  In such a situation, would you recommend retagging
that portion of the motorway as trunk instead of motorway?

No, because that's a temporary situation.  There are a few limited two-way
one-road motorways, though construction and emergency situations are a poor
example.  A better example would be the Golden Gate Bridge or BC 7 at
certain bridges that have lane control signals and aren't completely
reversible.