[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue May 15 14:39:24 BST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/5/15 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>> Also, is it acceptable to simply map the feature as a circular way,
>> rather than use traffic_calming=island?
>
> I don't think so. Because the street is not a circular way, but
> instead there is an island in the middle of the street. At least this
> is my interpretation.

How does this differ from a small roundabout, other than the lack of a
one-way restriction?

If there is an island in the middle of a two-way street, surely you
are supposed to pass to the right (*) of the island.  I have to say
that I still don't understand how this works in practice, e.g. when
someone is turning left and someone is turning right, and they are
both trying to use the same part of the road.

(*) In right-hand side driving jurisdictions.