[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Tue May 15 15:04:58 BST 2012

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I don't think so. Because the street is not a circular way, but
>> instead there is an island in the middle of the street. At least this
>> is my interpretation.
>
> How does this differ from a small roundabout, other than the lack of a
> one-way restriction?

By the way, quoting Wikipedia: "Although the term roundabout is
sometimes used for a traffic circle even in the United States, US
traffic engineers now make the distinction that in a roundabout
entering traffic must always yield to traffic already in the circle,
whereas in a traffic circle entering traffic is controlled by Stop
signs, or is not formally controlled, although some states are
exceptions, notably New York, which follows the "yield" rule although
naming them Traffic Circles."

However, in OSM terminology, there is no distinction between
roundabouts and traffic circles, right?

What is this?

http://www.yargerengineering.com/articles/images/Traffic-Circle-Woodruff-Place-Indy400.jpg

"woodruff place middle drive and cross drive, indianapolis", for those
who want to map it.

There's a curious sign with an arrow which says "left turn this side
of island", but I can't actually figure out what it's talking about.
The direction the sign is facing, the direction of the arrow, and the
position of the sign, seem to be contradictory.