[Tagging] Another reset on roundabouts

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri May 18 19:41:52 BST 2012

On 18/05/2012 17:31, Martin Vonwald (Imagic) wrote:
> Am 18.05.2012 um 16:32 schrieb Tobias Johansson<tj at mensa.se>:
>
>>> Are we talking about this?http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Uvl-p3eVBeM/Tr8xUuhRYbI/AAAAAAAAIho/NJZGrhCH6yk/s400/53242_1431458077448_1562786087_30891073_4275686_o.jpg
>>>
>>> If would think this is a Magic Roundabout.
>>>
>> Thats.. Cool :D sort of two roundabouts (or traffic circels or roads
>> whatever havn't followed the discussion totaly) in different
>> direktions with 4 minis connectig them or something like that...
> Before I started researching for the roundabout-article I haven't seen such a monster myself. Technically speaking it is a roundabout, so it should be tagged as such.
This is the "original" Magic Roundabout in Swindon, UK. Technically
speaking it is NOT a roundabout - it is a complex junction with several
roundabouts which happen to be arranged roughly in a circle. It's
confusing enough for us poor old humans as it is, without satnavs having
to distinguish between macro-roundabouts and micro-roundabouts. The
whole construction has only one single thing in common with a roundabout
- its roughly circular form. There's another one in Hemel Hempstead by
the way, with six connected roundabouts.

How about looking at an example use case. What would we *actually
expect* routing directions to look/sound like if we (let's say) enter
from the south (B4289) and we want to exit to the north-east (Shrivenham
Rd)?

Colin