[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sat May 19 16:13:21 BST 2012

On Thu, 2012-05-17 at 18:07 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> If anyone doubts that existing tagging does not match the wiki, see the
> following examples, all tagged as junction=roundabout by editors other
> than me:

Speaking as a Brit who has held a driving licence for 33 years and have
been dealing with roundabouts for all of that time, all 3 look like
roundabouts to me, the 2nd is a Hamburger Roundabout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Hamburger_roundabout.2Fthroughabout.2Fcut-through_roundabout

Traffic lights on roundabouts are extremely common, and nobody in the UK
would consider them anything but a roundabout. Roundabouts can come in
all shapes and sizes. Whilst I cannot think of any that have stop signs,
I cannot see why they wouldn't in a country where stop signs are
commonly used. Having driven in Canada, the number of stop signs in
places I would not have expected them to be did is one of my memories of
driving there.

Stop signs are quite rare in the UK and are mainly used on blind
junctions.

Phil