[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Sat May 19 16:43:02 BST 2012

Some remark on these three examples:

They are all so large that there is no technical advantage in tagging them
as roundabouts as opposed to just normal roads that happen to be circular.
Why do we want to map a junction as "roundabout"? The main reason is most
likely that this way the navigation software can produce the right
instructions.
Instead of saying: "turn right on xxx ring road" you woud say "entering
roundabout"
and for leaving instead of "straight on" (twice) , followed by "turn right
on yyy street" it would say "leave roundabout on 3rd exit" on entering and,
possibly, followed by "leave roundabout on next exit".
This difference is only of importance on roundabouts of smallish
dimensions. The three examples are so big that there is enough time for the
announcements and, hence, in practice it does not make any difference how
you tag them.

This argument is valid for the US and the UK.

All three examples would not be roundabouts in Germany or Italy, where the
use of the "roundabout" tag is linked to the presence of the corresponding
road sign for a roundabout, at least this seems to be common practice on
OSM.

Volker