[Tagging] (Mini)Roundabout: examples

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sat May 19 17:56:43 BST 2012

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
> Whilst I cannot think of any that have stop signs,
> I cannot see why they wouldn't in a country where stop signs are
> commonly used.

It kind of defeats the purpose.  If traffic has to come to a complete
stop anyway, why bother using a roundabout?

But that's an argument for not putting stop signs on roundabouts, not
an argument that a would-be-roundabout with stop signs is not a
roundabout.

On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Volker Schmidt <voschix at gmail.com> wrote:
> They are all so large that there is no technical advantage in tagging them
> as roundabouts as opposed to just normal roads that happen to be circular.
> Why do we want to map a junction as "roundabout"? The main reason is most
> likely that this way the navigation software can produce the right
> instructions.

Yes, this is my point.

On the other hand, there seems to be enough disagreement over this
issue that it's not worth pursuing.  Preprocessing steps in creating
navigation software will just have to notice that the road is very
short, and adjust directions accordingly.  This is already something
which has to be done in order to create good navigation software,
otherwise you'll wind up with "turn left onto YYY road, go 3 meters,
make a left onto ZZZ road" rather than "make a U-turn".