[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Cycle lanes & cycle tracks - my findings and a proposal

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 22 15:07:39 BST 2012

2012/5/22 Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>:
> 2012/5/22 colliar <colliar4ever at aol.com>
>> The major problem I have with splitting cycleways of the highway is the
>> missing reference to the highway. In Germany you have to use a cycleway
>> by law (with some exceptions) and if the cycleway and the highway are
>> mapped as two highways I do not get the information if the cycleway
>> belongs to the road (have to use) or if it is a seperate road (can use).
>> E.g. we need to find a solution how to connect all the objects of a road.
> What if the cycleway belongs to a highway, but they are not very close,
> there is a few meters of grass in between? I think connecting of any sort is
> not necessary if you just use "bicycle=no" tag on the highway.

-1, this has been discussed ad infinitum on the German list. Tagging
the road with bicycle=no would be plain wrong, because it is not
forbidden to use the road, you have the obligation to use the
cycleway, which is quite different. E.g. if the cycleway is not
suitable for your bike (e.g. you have a huge trailer, or it is
damaged, or it is obstructed by stuff, or...) you will still be
legally entitled to use the road. Also if the cycleway does not go
where you want to go (say you wanted to turn left, and the cycleway
doesn't permit this because of the kerb or some other obstacle) you
can use the street. There is also other cases in which you can use the
street despite there is a cycleway and the obligation to use it.

cheers,
Martin

btw: shouldn't this thread take place in tagging?