[Tagging] Alternative names in local language

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:02:22 BST 2012

2012/5/22 Simone Saviolo <simone.saviolo at gmail.com>:
> - name:oci-ni (or the correct language code): I would like this one,
> because the names would be tagged for what their are - the Nissart
> names. However, I'm more inclined to think of this tag as a place for
> the translation of the name to the specified language.

IMHO you can use this tag, it is the name in the given language, not
necessarily a translation.

> I think this is
> the perfect way to discriminate between name=Nice, name:it=Nizza and
> name:oci-ni=Nissa.

+1

> But the street names I'm talking about are not
> always the translation of the French name: for example, Plassa Carlou
> Aubert has became Place Massena;

no problem.

> - old_name: this seems appropriate in that the Nissart toponyms were
> once the ones people used (though I'm not sure whether there were
> official Italian names under the Kingdom of Savoy), but they're not
> only that: they're in another language too.

old_name is suitable for old names, i.e. names that are not official
any more. If in this case there are still these nissart street names
on the signs, old_name does not look appropriate to me.

> Currently, many of them have been tagged with reg_name=*. This may be
> ok, but suppose that not only the Nissart names, but also the Italian
> ones had been preserved: how would I specify more than one language in
> reg_name?

go for language namespaces, it is more universal and less ambiguous.

cheers,
Martin