[Tagging] Update of article highway=mini_roundabout

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun May 27 15:03:44 BST 2012

On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 13:43 -0400, Anthony wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic.osm at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'll just want to let you know, that I reworked the article about
> > mini-roundabouts and want to update it within the next days. You can
> > find it here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Imagic/Werkstatt
>
> "If there is only a single vehicle, or two vehicles traveling in
> opposite directions, it is common to drive straight across the middle
> rather than going around."
>
> Isn't this illegal?
Don't think so. The definition of a mini-roundabout is that it is
traversable, and making it illegal to then traverse it would be silly.

Their primary purpose is to prevent queues of traffic joining main roads
and to set up a fair system of priorities.

Many are just inserted where there was previously just a T-Junction
meaning that often the painted island is offset from the centre. This
often makes it near impossible to not cross the painted island, one
direction, in even a relatively small  car. That is unless everyone is
to slow down to slow manoeuvring speed.

In the above situation the island is painted and flat, where there is
room to go around the island is often humped to discourage cars from
driving over the island.

Phil