[Tagging] Update of article highway=mini_roundabout

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Sun May 27 16:02:14 BST 2012

On 27/05/2012 15:03, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-05-26 at 13:43 -0400, Anthony wrote:
>> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Martin Vonwald<imagic.osm at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> I'll just want to let you know, that I reworked the article about
>>> mini-roundabouts and want to update it within the next days. You can
>>> find it here: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Imagic/Werkstatt
>>
>> "If there is only a single vehicle, or two vehicles traveling in
>> opposite directions, it is common to drive straight across the middle
>> rather than going around."
>>
>> Isn't this illegal?
> Don't think so. The definition of a mini-roundabout is that it is
> traversable, and making it illegal to then traverse it would be silly.

It is illegal in the UK (unless you are driving a large vehicle).
 From the Highway Code, rule 188.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/travelandtransport/highwaycode/dg_070338

Mini-roundabouts. Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts.
All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles
which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less
space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Avoid making U-turns at
mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10(1) & 16(1)]