[Tagging] Fuel, additional tags

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 12 21:38:08 GMT 2012

> On Mon, 2012-11-12 at 20:00 +0000, Malcolm Herring wrote:
>> On 12/11/2012 19:27, Jo wrote:
>> > The dye added is not the common denominator. We need the British term
>> > for the tax break status of it.
>> Two common terms in use are: "marked diesel" and "agricultural diesel".
> In the UK its usually called Red Diesel.
> Have never seen it sold alongside normal petrol or diesel however, it is
> illegal to drive on a public road when using it.

Strictly speaking this is not true in the UK: there are many circumstances
in which you can use red diesel on a public road. It depends on what you
are doing, and with what.

Low-duty diesel is also available to boat-owners, although not for
propulsion. You buy red diesel and settle up the fuel duty with the
supplier according to your declaration of how many percent of this fuel
will be used for propulsion in UK waters, and how much for other things
such as heating/electricity.

More info here:

More information about the Tagging mailing list