[Tagging] Fuel, additional tags

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:02:39 GMT 2012

2012/11/13 Malcolm Herring <malcolm.herring at btinternet.com>:

> seamark:type=small_craft_facility
> seamark:small_craft_facility:category=fuel_station
>
> This tag is applied to a node at the actual location of the fuel station,
> rather than the harbour:fuel:diesel tag, which merely lists a facility
> within a harbour area, but does not indicate the location of the fuel
> station.
>
> See: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap/Small_Craft_Facilities

it is used 35 times.
The tagging scheme proposed there doesn't really make sense in the
contest of OSM.

1. These are not seamarks.
2. the tagging scheme seems unnecessarily complicated
3. most of the objects already have a nice short tag, instead of
"seamark:type=small_craft_facility" together with
"seamark:small_craft_facility:category=restaurant" you can simply tag
amenity=restaurant. Or is the seamark definition of a restaurant ("A
commercial establishment serving food.") somehow incompatible with the
osm definition? The same applies to doctor, showers, toilet, car park,

I'd propose to add a subtag to a petrol station that can be accessed
also by boat and a main tag for a petrol station that can be only
accessed from the water. (Or alternatively always a different main tag
and add another object in the case that it is a combined petrol
station for cars and boats).

The tag would be something as simple as amenity=boat_fuel.

Maybe we should also have a distinction between floating fuel stations
(on the water in a vessel) and the ones on solid ground, i.e. another
tag amenity=floating_fuel_station.

Cheers,
Martin