[Tagging] Fuel, additional tags

Malcolm Herring malcolm.herring at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 13 19:39:47 GMT 2012

> The tagging scheme proposed there doesn't really make sense in the
> contest of OSM.

"in the context of OSM" is the operative condition, that is why I
pointed out that the tags I detailed were OpenSeaMap tags.

> 1. These are not seamarks.

"seamark:" is the OpenSeaMap prefix for any marine navigation object
that appears in the IHO object catalogue. That does not cover only
markers, but any object that can appear on a marine chart.

> 2. the tagging scheme seems unnecessarily complicated

Yes it is, but it was invented by the IHO, not us. We merely transcribed
it into OSM format tags.

> 3. most of the objects already have a nice short tag, instead of

There are many objects that are of interest to both StreetMap and SeaMap
consumers. In these cases, tags from both schemes would be used.