[Tagging] access=emergency revisited

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Nov 20 20:59:52 GMT 2012

we talked about this a year or so back, and had near consensus if not a
real consensus. it never got
documented in the wiki, and i thought i'd bring it up here rather than
just charging off and editing the
wiki.

i think we need a separate emergency access category because there exist
places where authorized
vehicles, mostly emergency responders of one type or another, can use
the right of way but not
anyone else. the most common example is the u-turn on an interstate
highway, but there are others.
today i observed a gate on a road in Guilderland, NY, which explicitly
blocks a paved, public residential
road, but gives instructions on how to open the gate for emergency
responders.

i'm currently working on a project to extract GPS maps from OSM for use
by first responders, so this
distinction is important to me, and to any first responders who might
have occasion to use maps
extracted via the proposed process.

thoughts, anyone?

thanks,