[Tagging] access=emergency revisited

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Nov 21 22:42:48 GMT 2012

On 11/21/12 4:00 PM, Anthony wrote:

> If emergency responders are exempt from access restrictions (which they are
> in every jurisdiction I've ever read the law on), then the access tags are
> of limited usefulness regardless.
they are valuable as a way of storing verified information.

> Relying on mappers to know the intricate legal details of who is exempt
> from which laws at which times, is a recipe for disaster.  This should be
> the job of the person making the emergency responder application.  And if
> they're using unverified OSM data to do so, hopefully they've purchased a
> really big liability insurance policy.

i'm not depending on random mappers to guess at access restrictions. the
goal is
the description of verified data. so let's propose that the access=emergency
description in the wiki look like this:

use access=emergency only when emergency access can be verified by a posted
sign or by reference to local statute or policy. example:

access=emergency
source:access=McKownville FD, Guilderland NY

there is already provision in the project design for a local policy file
that can
supplement data in OSM in cases where such data isn't viable or
appropriate for
OSM, but it would be nice to put verifiable data in OSM where appropriate.

richard