[Tagging] agglomération

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 15:57:18 GMT 2012

2012/11/21 A.Pirard.Papou <A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com>

>  Hi,
>
> I wanted to map the agglomeration of my village and I am wondering again.
> [...]

 How do we tag agglomérations?

Currently, with place=* and their relative info on a closed way. I have
written a proposal which aims to change this tagging scheme: [1]

However, on a second thought, what you talk about is probably a different
concept. An agglomération has precise entry and exit points, marked by the
city limit sign - in Italy it's the same. I know that many mappers don't
want to have this defined by a polygon, arguing that this would force
consumers to do a spatial query to understand what the speed limit is;
however, the legal constraint also involves other restrictions (e.g., no
honking), and a dedicated tag would work better in this sense.

Regards,

Simone

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Urban_settlements