[Tagging] access=emergency revisited

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Nov 22 17:52:57 GMT 2012

On 11/22/12 12:38 PM, Kytömaa Lauri wrote:
>> specifically, no U-turn is the common signage in many jurisdictions, and that's a
>> turn restriction, not an access restriction. in  a perfect world, that's how we'd have
> Mostly "we" are interested in the result, not the signs. It's the traffic code's
> limitation, that their best option is to forbid the turn, but the result is the
> same: generally nobody may use the u-turn connector, but emergency vehicles can.
the issue is how do you model it to get from the signage to the result.
i think that
given that there seems to be an easy way to get this "correctly" modeled
for some
value of correct, it'd be nice to go that way.
> As for overloading, is there an imaginable case where a way tagged highway=*
> acts as an emergency=fire_hydrant, or any of the other values listed? Afair,
> the key emergency was first used as an access group, and the
> "emergency facilities" were only later grouped under a single key.
i can't think of one. i'd recommend a little better documentation in the
wiki, e.g.
add a line to the key:emergency page for =yes which states that this
case is an
access restriction and points to the access page. i'd be happy to add
that as part of
any changes that result from this discussion, and add a line to the
access page
mentioning that emergency=<not yes> is about equipment, and provide a link
back to the key:emergency page

richard