[Tagging] access=emergency revisited

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri Nov 23 01:01:58 GMT 2012

I have been using mkgmap for about 3 years.  I am not clear on it doing
turn restrictions, because the garmin format is reverse-engineered, and
the new version not understood.  I am unaware of any other GPSr units
being capable of being translated to.

It's certainly possible to have a style file that converts tags to
yes/no for a vehicle or class and to build per-class maps as normal
mode.  That's probably quite sensible; you can put the logic to convert
tags to yes/no (based on whatever you need, and tag that) in mkgmap
style files, and thus not be bothered by lack of precision in the
receiver.

In tagging, people often ask "how should I express this", and I usually
instead think "what shall we define the semantics to mean, and how will
all the data consumers interpret those tags".