[Tagging] agglomération

A.Pirard.Papou A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 19:17:49 GMT 2012

Hi,

I wanted to map the agglomeration of my village and I am wondering again.
http://www.google.be/search?&q=agglomération site:openstreetmap.org
-communauté
<http://www.google.be/search?&q=agglom%C3%A9ration%20site:openstreetmap.org%20-communaut%C3%A9>
as well as a wiki search returns very vague information.
OSM-talk-fr sounds like associating agglomération and speed limit.

However, at least in Belgium, the definition of agglomération is very
strict
<http://www.code-de-la-route.be/textes-legaux/sections/ar/code-de-la-route/100-art2>
(Engooglish
<http://translate.google.be/translate?u=http%3A//www.code-de-la-route.be/textes-legaux/sections/ar/code-de-la-route/100-art2&hl=fr&langpair=auto%7Cen&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8>)
as well as, although a link list seems yet to have to be invented, what
it implies
<http://www.code-de-la-route.be/component/search/?searchword=agglom%C3%A9rations&searchphrase=all&Itemid=48>
(Engooglish
<http://translate.google.be/translate?u=http%3A//www.code-de-la-route.be/component/search/%3Fsearchword%3Dagglom%25C3%25A9rations%26searchphrase%3Dall%26Itemid%3D48&hl=fr&langpair=auto%7Cen&tbb=1&ie=UTF-8>),
much more than a speed limit.

How is an agglomération tagged?
With residential ways?
Not every agglomeration part is residential and there are residences
outside agglomerations.
When we're not facing the single road traversing a village, an
agglomeration looks much like an area.
It would indeed be a chore to tag every road of the agglomération of a
big city.
But that's an area of roads, more like gloves than mittens.

An agglomération is ≤ a village which is ≤ an old commune which is < a
commune = municipality.
That's an observation similar to what I've read on OSM-talk-fr.
But an agglomeration has nothing to do with administrative stuff.
Else, in Belgium, we would have agglomérations and agglomeraties
overlapping each other ;-)
Hence, it's not a subarea of a commune (municipality).

Is my reasoning correct that I should I make a relation containing the
roads?

But how do I tag it so that software recognize it as an agglomération as
described above???

Well, if I too consider just the speed limit, I see that Speed_limits
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits> applies to roads,
railways! and waterways!!!  Not relations !!!!!

How do we tag agglomérations?

Cheers,

André.