[Tagging] Stop sign?

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Nov 23 18:14:47 GMT 2012

Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:

> I (would) do this mostly for consistency. I have to admit I never HAD
> to do
> it, most stop signs in Belgium are used for their intended purpose:
> give
> priority to the main road, not inhibit all traffic arriving at an
> intersection.
>
> A node on the way approaching a main road is unambiguous enough. One
> one
> the intersection itself is harder to 'interpret'.
>
> Concerning traffic lights it would depend on the size of the
> intersection.
> Traffic lights tend to have an influence on all ways arriving at the
> intersection, whereas stop signs make traffic on some ways 'inferior'
> the ways of the main road. So it's not the same situation.
>
> It also depends on the quality of the Bing imagery. It has now become
> possible to indicate where highway=give_way applies for many places in
> Europe.
>
> Polyglot
>

> 2012/11/21 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>
>
> > On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM, Jo <winfixit at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > What I never do anymore is to tag the node of the crossing with
> it. So
> > even
> > > if all 4 roads have a stop sign, I'd create for nodes for them on
> all
> > > approaches.
> >
> > Are you doing the same for traffic_signals ? if not, why simply not
> > accept that such signals on the cross node implies that all
> > intersecting ways are concerned ?
> >
> > Pieren

In the USA, all-way stop signs are used at intersections where all of the roads in question have equal priority, and the expected traffic volume is small enough that you won't have a large backlog of traffic waiting to go through.  From what you are saying, would Belgium always give one of the roads the right-of-way, so that its traffic does not have to stop, or would it always have an electric traffic signal at such an intersection, regardless of how small the expected traffic volume is?

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com