[Tagging] Stop sign?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri Nov 23 19:03:54 GMT 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 12:14 -0600, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> In the USA, all-way stop signs are used at intersections where all of
> the roads in question have equal priority, and the expected traffic
> volume is small enough that you won't have a large backlog of traffic
> waiting to go through. From what you are saying, would Belgium always
> give one of the roads the right-of-way, so that its traffic does not
> have to stop, or would it always have an electric traffic signal at
> such an intersection, regardless of how small the expected traffic
> volume is?

The 'all way stop' is I think unique to North America, it does not exist
in the UK and as far as I know does not exist in Europe. From my
experience of driving in North  America, the 'all way stop' is used in
place where in Europe, and particularly the UK a mini-roundabout would
be used in most of these cases. Otherwise a road would be assigned right
of way.

Again in most of Western Europe, not the UK, a system giving priority to
traffic from the right exists so many minor junctions have no road
markings but the priority to the right rule exists. My experience is, I
have no problem giving way but taking it took some time to master.

In Europe when a stop sign is used, there is always a main road which
has priority.

Stop signs are much less common in the UK than North America, in most
cases the minor road just has to give way sign, or in the UK just road
markings on minor roads.

Stop signs are relatively rare in the UK, they are generally only used
where visibility is difficult. In other countries I find myself
thinking, 'why the stop sign, I can see'.

Hope this kind of bridges the understanding issues with this thread.

Phil