[Tagging] how to tag: water enclosure beneath fountains

Richard Smith rich at haveyougotanypets.com
Mon Oct 1 16:30:45 BST 2012

If this pool of water has the main purpose of feeding the fountain I would
consider this to be a landuse=reservoir for the following reasons:
* Its wiki description fits: "Man made body of stored water. May be covered
or uncovered.")
* It has a well defined, used and even rendered subtag of reservoir_type=*
that could be set to fountain or a similar tag, so it will probably show up
and be visually useful in a number of common renderers straight away.
* As a reservoir does not always have to be full this tag nicely sidesteps
the issue someone raised of whether there is water there or not.
* It can be used to tag over and underground storage areas for
a fountain if the user so wishes.

As Google "define:fountain" as "An ornamental structure in a pool or lake
from which one or more jets of water are pumped into the air." I would
personally tag the whole area of the fountain with the
current amenity=fountain tag and would only tag the sub area of the
fountain the held water (or chocolate) with the reservoir tag.

If the pool of water's main purpose was ornamental with a fountain being
a sub feature (as is often the case in grand houses and gardens where the
are large areas of water with fountains dotted about them) I would be less
tempted to use the reservoir tag and instead only tag the actually spraying
area as fountain and tag the other area as something else pond perhaps or
natural=water.

- Richard