[Tagging] how to tag: water enclosure beneath fountains

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 18:05:59 BST 2012

2012/10/1 Ronnie Soak <chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com>:
> 2012/10/1 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
> I can't follow you here: You say that natural=water is flawed, that
> there might be fountains without water and that a fountain might
> consist of several materials besides water.
> And still you recommend to tag the whole area as natural=water,
> amenity=fountain?

nah, of course not, your question was for a generic tag for enclosures of water:
>> Do you know any other tag fitting small scale, urban, man made
>> enclosures of water (possibly fed by a fountain or well)?
and here I replied you could tag this natural=water (but refering to
only parts with actual water), and you might subtag this more
specifically to express which kind of water (proposal water=)

The fountain is another issue and should be tagged with amenity=fountain.

I think it is acceptable to have a very generic interpretation of
natural=water as a hint for the renderer, but if you can you should
add additional tags to better specify the feature.

cheers,
Martin