[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Difficult passability

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 17:03:29 BST 2012

2012/10/10 Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>:
> We really should not be tagging broken bollards as the restriction they
> are there to enforce are still there, and they will be fixed quickly
> (even if its initially by placing a cone over the broken bollard.

you are making global assumptions based on your local experience and
knowledge. No doubt that it can be like this, but it is just as well
possible that there is no such thing like a "restriction" besides the
actual bollard.

>> I think that the map always needs someone prepared to monitor the
>> situation because elements will change continuously.
> If we did that, we would have a much poorer map. There are not enough of
> us to monitor everywhere with that frequency.

I think both of you are right here. In some places we are up to the
minute with construction works, roads inauguration or closing for
constructions and other semi-temporary stuff, while in other areas
with few mappers it is better not to map every road construction work
because you are risking in leaving behind outdated data for years. The
instance to decide how to do it is the local mapper. He usually knows
about the mapper density and map maintenance intensity of the area.
Basically you can't compare Berlin to Ouagadougou when it comes to
OSM.

> If we only mapped places
> we visit more than once a year, there would be huge holes in the map.

there are huge holes in the map ;-)
Local knowledge is always better, the more you know a place the better
you can map it. This doesn't of course serve as an excuse to not map
place we know less well or maybe only from aerial imagery (if there is
an empty map almost everything traced from aerials is better than
leaving the map empty).

>> If you go to walk in a path with «dense vegetation» or with a «fallen
>> tree», and you are disposed to cross it...
> A tree across a path is something that will again be removed within at
> most a week or so, if it is causing an obstruction. Otherwise the path
> may move around it,

Again global assumptions from local experience. Even in southern
Germany, where maybe 50-80% of all tracks are paved, you will find
paths in the forests with fallen trees and nobody removing them for
years. You simply climb over them if you are young (if the terrain is
hilly you often won't be able to walk around it), but it is still a
barrier, and on horse or bike it might even be insurmountable.

> Vegetation is seasonal, long grass will be gone by Autumn/Fall. If its
> causing a real obstruction then report it. And carry some secateurs, so
> you can trim it back a bit.

grass might be gone, but bushes and brush won't.

I think that the proposal is generally valid (there might be some
details to discuss, lets do this in the wiki). If you think that the
contained features don't merit to be mapped in your area, you simply
don't use it, but I agree it is something useful in many areas of the
world, also in central Europe, not only in "remote" parts of the
globe.

cheers,
Martin