[Tagging] Naming boundary ways - the — separation character

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 10 21:38:34 BST 2012

On 10/10/2012 21:53, Alexander wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the separation sign should be chosen by the render.
+1

> Why not adding new tags like:
>
> name:left=Mexico
> name:right=USA

-1

This looks to me like blatant "tagging for the renderer", i.e.
manipulating the tagging to produce an optically pleasing result. I
would contest that the border itself has no name; the names belong to
the areas on either side, which are of various types and admin_levels.
Therefore no "name" could ever be right under all circumstances. The
renderer must make a choice out of the names of the boundary relations
to which the way belongs, depending on whether the map is to show the
countries of the world or the municipalities of Texas. Plus that the
boundary way may actually also be a geographical feature such as a river
with its own name; giving name:left and name:right a completely
different set of semantics to the basic "name" tag doesn't sound like
good practice to me.

Colin