[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 09:15:46 BST 2012

2012/10/12 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>

> However, I personally don't think your example of putting the URLs to
> a place's webpage on foursquare, Google+, Yelp, TripAdvisor, etc. is
> the way to go.
>
> OSM is not a link directory so adding many such links on the OSM
> database doesn't seem appropriate. One or two is maybe OK.

I don't agree. If we follow that reasoning consistently, we may conclude
that tagging a bar on OSM is wrong, because OSM is not a bar directory, and
its name may change, and it may close, etc.

I think that contact info of an amenity (allow me to group shops,
restaurants, bars, and companies under that umbrella just for a minute)
should be considered all of equal importance. The telephone number and the
website are not information that changes every week, and so they're as
stable as the amenity name. If the Facebook page of the amenity should not
be in OSM, then surely the operator should not, and I would even question
the name.

Regards,

Simone