[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 10:26:26 BST 2012

2012/10/12 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Simone Saviolo
> <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that contact info of an amenity (allow me to group shops,
>> restaurants, bars, and companies under that umbrella just for a minute)
>> should be considered all of equal importance.
>
> They are amenities that stay for long time like post offices. And
> amenities that are changing very fast like shops and restaurants.

this is all relative. If you live in an area where the post is doing
restructuring, it might be the opposite.

> think OSM should concentrate on the first. OSM is not a google-like
> bot scanning the web to build automatically a yellow-page db.
> Surveying things like commercial streets are inevitably outdated
> quickly.

-1, IMHO mapping their own environment in great detail is a main
interest of many mappers, and shops and restaurants etc. are an
important part of it. By declaring that we don't want this data in OSM
we are removing the joy for those mappers.

> I would say that "amenities" that cannot be found in
> wikipedia should be considered as commercial advertising.

this is a rather extreme position and should be rethought IMHO. We
should not let us restrict by third parties when it comes to our key
business, mapping, and especially what to map. Please bear in mind
that there is no such thing as "the wikipedia" if you look at the
rules what to include and what not. Different local chapters might
have quite different rules. For instance the German wikipedia is well
known for being very restrictive on what to include [1], and with this
policy it has already scared away a lot of contributors.

cheers,
Martin

[1] http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Relevanzkriterien