[Tagging] Standard for external links to location based services

Simone Saviolo simone.saviolo at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 11:03:15 BST 2012

2012/10/12 Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM, Simone Saviolo
> <simone.saviolo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > by that reasoning, we should remove all the bars, all the shops, all the
> > restaurants, all the companies, all the fuel stations, all the parking
> > information (a free parking may become a ticket-only parking), all the
> names
> > of the buildings (even worldwide famous skyscrapers have changed their
> name
> > as their owner sold them to someone else). Are we sure we want to make a
> map
> > where there is no restaurant?
>
> Read my post carefully. I'm not asking to remove anything. I'm saying
> that most of this information is quickly outdated in OSM and that
> other services like google are doing it better than us.

I agree that information gets outdated. Information is "outdated" by
definition, in a sense: I can only say that it was accurate last time I
checked it. But let's not get all philosophical about that.

However, isn't one of the main selling points of OSM the fact that, since
it's user-contributed, it has the potential to be the most up-to-date map
in the world? Just like the death of an actor or the results of the latest
Formula 1 Grand Prix are on Wikipedia within minutes, an area with active
mappers can be updated in just a few hours, or days - which is *very* fast
for a map! Like Martin said, as soon as a restaurant in my city becomes
something else I'll notice it and edit the map - this is not true with a
Google-like Web Yellow Pages of sort: the new owners would have to notice
the service, which will go through all the notifications, and maybe one day
update its database.

To get back to the specifics of the web contact information, I can
understand the risk that, being it information that is not usually shown in
a prominent manner, it may be overlooked and become outdated more easily
than, for instance, the name of the amenity. However, when I, as a mapper,
select the POI of a restaurant to edit it because it changed significantly
(it became a shop, or the owner changed and called it differently), I'll
notice that there are a dozen of tags referring to the old company's social
pages and will remove or update them accordingly.

Granted, in a non-actively-covered area, the data may be weeks, months, or
even years old. But this is not worse than what would happen to a
"Google-like" service if it doesn't notice the change. And often it's not
that bad.

As to the aspect of the commercial advertising, I agree that a restaurant
marked on a map is implicitly being advertised and has an advantage over
another one that is not mapped. However, on one hand nothing prevents
company-owners from adding and maintaining their own geographic information
anyway, and on the other hand the company is not the only one that benefits
from being on the map. Again, "by that reasoning" :-) we could conclude
that mapping a paid parking implies advertising it, but actually we're
giving car drivers the information that a parking is available, if they're
willing to spend.

Ciao,

Simone