[Tagging] What is and what isn't a valid type=multipolygon relation for osm ?

David ``Smith'' vidthekid at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 17:30:51 GMT 2012

On Oct 13, 2012 11:12 AM, "sly (sylvain letuffe)" <liste at letuffe.org> wrote:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Relation%3Amultipolygon&action=historysubmit&diff=820392&oldid=797879

I mostly agree with the added text, with the following criticism: it's a
very mathematical way of saying what shouldn't need to be said in the first
place.  It should be obvious that a valid multipolygon relation
unambiguously defines a polygonal region, and I wasn't aware it was
necessary to explicitly declare all the subconditions required to achieve
that result.

I think the mappers who might break a multipolygon's validity probably
don't have the patience to read through several rules written in
math-speak.  Perhaps it would be better to show counterexamples to each
"rule", and how to remedy each one (assuming the mapper actually knows what
region the multipolygon should cover -- because if the relation is broken,
software can't know).