[Tagging] Narrow Bridge (was: Reconstructing «Dificult passability» proposal to «Obstacle»)

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Oct 14 07:38:14 BST 2012

On Sat, 2012-10-13 at 22:19 -0500, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> The standard English term for a bridge that is only wide enough for one vehicle to pass through at a time is a "one-lane bridge".  In the same way, a roadway only wide enough for one vehicle at a time is a "one-lane road".  The bridge or road is visibly only one lane wide; painting lane markings on it to point out its narrowness would be redundant.
Another one where American English is different, in the UK the term used
is 'Single Track Road'. 

You will sometimes see signs saying "Single Track Road with Passing
Places", a useful page with sign examples is here


More information about the Tagging mailing list