[Tagging] Emergency lane used by PSV at rush time

Ole Nielsen on-osm at xs4all.nl
Sun Oct 14 15:55:44 GMT 2012

On 14/10/2012 14:40, Tobias Knerr wrote:
> On 14.10.2012 14:04, Eric SIBERT wrote:
>> On a motorway, the emergency lane can be used by psv (bus and taxi) when
>> there is traffic jam on the usual lanes. There is no predefined hours.
>> Just, when traffic jam is detected, light signal are switched to
>> indicate it.
>
> You could combine "Conditional restrictions" and the lanes suffix¹:
>
> lanes=3
>
> access:lanes          = yes | yes | no
> emergency:lanes       =     |     | yes
> psv:conditional:lanes =     |     | yes @ rush_time

There are a couple of issues here

1. I did not include 'lanes' when I created the "Conditional
Restrictions" scheme (mostly not to complicate the discussion and voting
process of the proposal). It could be done as suggested by you. However,
I would prefer to write the key as psv:lanes:conditional in order to be
consistent with other uses of conditional where the unconditional and
the conditional tags can be distinguished just by the :conditional
suffix. I may add this to the wiki page.

2: It can be discussed how useful it would be to tag such information.
It's a bit like maxspeed:wet. It may be indicated by a sign but a route
planner or other application cannot really use that information as it
has no clues to the road condition or traffic situation at some time
into the future. We have a similar issue in the Netherlands where many
motorways have "hard shoulder running" and lanes called "plus lanes"
which open only at times of high traffic intensity. Furthermore, the
speed limit is lowered when such lanes are open (thus two conditional
restrictions)!

3: About the condition value: What about "traffic_jam" or "congestion"?

Ole / polderrunner