[Tagging] Conditional restrictions accepted – turn restrictions ahead?

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Tue Oct 16 01:41:08 GMT 2012

Hi Martin,

Am Dienstag, 16. Oktober 2012, 02:18:30 schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:
> > apparently Conditional Restrictions has become an approved feature, even though nobody mentioned it here. While I still believe that this is a sub-optimal solution (and still nobody has passed the test I created earlier in the discussion, even though a lot of people tried), I have now abandoned the Extended Conditions proposal.
> >
> > I guess the next step is to adopt conditional restrictions for turn restrictions, to achieve some consistency.
>

> are you sure that we need this? In real life I only met these in cases
> where they would have already been implicit in OSM (i.e. in addition
> to the signs limiting access to a road there was a turn_restriction
> sign to advert the driver in advance but this wasn't restricting more
> than what the road access permissions already did).

Just for the start:
• there are some "no left turn" restrictions in Munich that only apply during rush hour (i.e. specified intervals on a sign) to improve traffic flow, with day_on… not being sufficient
• there are some "no u-turn" restrictions in Augsburg that only apply to vehicles longer than 6 metres
• there has been a "no right turn" restriction near Neusäß that only applied during night time and holidays (got removed a few years ago) to calm down a residential road

None of these are representable implicitly or with what we have right now, and those are just a few random examples off the top of my head; I have seen a lot more of them.

Eckhart