[Tagging] Conditional restrictions accepted - turn restrictions ahead?

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Tue Oct 16 22:38:16 GMT 2012

Hi Rob,

(Putting tagging ML back in To since this might be of interest to other people as well, I hope you don't mind.)

> On topic: In your suggesttion you proposed "applies = *". What would you do
> with the following:
>
> * day_on, etc...
> * restriction:hgv, etc
> * except
>
> Would you suggest deprecating them? Thus a restriction that applies to only
> hgv's becomes:
>
> restriction = no_u_turn
> applies = no (to switch it off for all transportation modes)
> applies:hgv = yes (to switch it back on for HGVs)

yeah, that's the idea. The implied default would be something like "applies=yes, applies:foot=no" so that by default, turn restrictions apply to everyone but pedestrians.

The big advantage of using "applies" is that from a language POV it is immediately clear what is meant, and that the syntax will be *exactly* the same as in Conditional Restrictions.

day_on, … should definitely get deprecated, those tags are an unholy mess: people mess up off and on; people interpret them them as both "from day A time B to day C time D" and "from time B to time D each day between day A and day C".
except can probably stay, it can easily be translated (except=bus translates to applies:bus = no)
restriction:hgv should get deprecated / reverted, someone recently sneaked this into the wiki page without any discussion.

Eckhart