[Tagging] Conditional restrictions accepted - turn restrictions ahead?

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 23:15:23 GMT 2012

On 16 October 2012 23:38, Eckhart Wörner <ewoerner at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi Rob,
>
> (Putting tagging ML back in To since this might be of interest to other
> people as well, I hope you don't mind.)
>
> > On topic: In your suggestion you proposed "applies = *". What would you
> do
> > with the following:
> >
> > * day_on, etc...
> > * restriction:hgv, etc
> > * except
> >
> > Would you suggest deprecating them? Thus a restriction that applies to
> only
> > hgv's becomes:
> >
> > restriction = no_u_turn
> > applies = no (to switch it off for all transportation modes)
> > applies:hgv = yes (to switch it back on for HGVs)
>
> yeah, that's the idea. The implied default would be something like
> "applies=yes, applies:foot=no" so that by default, turn restrictions apply
> to everyone but pedestrians.
>
> The big advantage of using "applies" is that from a language POV it is
> immediately clear what is meant, and that the syntax will be *exactly* the
> same as in Conditional Restrictions.
>
> day_on, … should definitely get deprecated, those tags are an unholy mess:
> people mess up off and on; people interpret them them as both "from day A
> time B to day C time D" and "from time B to time D each day between day A
> and day C".
> except can probably stay, it can easily be translated (except=bus
> translates to applies:bus = no)
> restriction:hgv should get deprecated / reverted, someone recently sneaked
> this into the wiki page without any discussion.
>
> Eckhart

Hi,

No problem with you moving this back online (I wanted to check that I
wasn't putting words in your mouth first).

Thanks for the clarification. I spotted you had reverted some recent
changes (thanks) but wasn't aware that restriction:hgv was also a recent
addition. I think deprecating these would be step in the right direction
and removes many of the concerns I had with using a new tag (namely you end
up with "applies" type data within both "restriction:hgv = " and
"applies="/"condition="/whatever the new tag is called).

I suggest we write up a wiki page proposing the changes. That way we can
better track the discussion :-)

Rob

p.s The talk page for Turn Restrictions is stupidly long. Will take a while
to work through it to see if there are any helpful tips in there!