[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Oct 17 03:10:13 GMT 2012

On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> The emergency vehicles in the USA are also allowed to disobey traffic laws
> in an emergency.  They have to have the flashing lights and siren on, and
> take precautions to watch out for regular traffic.  For example, a police
> car, fire truck, or ambulance on an emergency call can go through an
> intersection even if the traffic signals have ordinary traffic stopped, but
> they slow down enough to check for any ordinary traffic approaching the
> intersection on the cross-street, since some drivers may have not figured
> out which direction the siren sound is coming from.

Ambulances are only allowed 10 MPH over the posted speed limit, and then
only when operating lights and sirens.  I didn't know this until I got this
question wrong on the Oregon driver's exam.  I reused the correct answer
from Oregon on my Oklahoma exam and got it right.  So, at least ambulances
in two states still have to kinda-sorta obey speed rules.