[Tagging] How to tag: Legally separated ways (2nd Part)

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 10:16:13 GMT 2012

2012/10/17 Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>:
>> Now consider part 4 to 6. At what point would you split the way coming
>> from part 4?
>> a) Before the end of part 4
>> b) At the end of part 4/start of part 5
>> c) In the middle of part 5
>> d) At the end of part 5/start of part 6
>> e) Tell me!
>

> d)
> isn't this almost the same question? If you don't split the way for
> part 5 you cannot do a) or b) and given how short part 5 is, there is
> no real difference between c) and d) (but splitting "in the middle"
> doesn't seem good advice at anytime).

I just summarized all variants I've seen in the last days.  Well - not
all. I omitted the variant where the split was after part 6. Same for
the other two questions. ;-)

> actually the by far most often practised mapping according to my
> experience is b) and for the first question c) which also make certain
> sense in the case of a motorway. In practical use there is mostly
> never a difference, as on the motorway sat navs tend to tell you
> already kilometers before what your next steps will be.

Correct. But what I've seen on motorways lately it is obvious that we
need some more documentation here. And I want a documentation where
most (all is impossible) agree on.

Martin